A few months ago, the annual 2015 Cyber Security Intelligence Index was released providing an overhead view of major threats in the security landscape. The report is based on a sample size of 1,000 clients in more than 133 monitored countries. And the numbers tell a story that every business should hear.
Major vulnerabilities were found lurking in well-known applications, many of which had been dormant for more than 10 years. Once discovered—and subsequently exploited—they left virtually every industry vulnerable to serious threats, including the possibility of intruders gaining full remote access to critical systems. IT departments often found themselves unprepared to patch and mitigate these threats, leaving the window for exploitation wide open and leading to a “perfect storm” of zero-day attacks, system infiltration and subsequent data loss for many organizations.
Here are some other notable findings:
- Over 50% of attacks that took place across the globe both originated and occurred in the United States.
- 37 percent of security incidents were caused by unauthorized access; 20% were caused by malware.
- 55 percent of all attacks were carried out by malicious insiders or inadvertent actors.
- Over 62 percent of incidents targeted just three industries (Finance/insurance, information/communications and manufacturing).
If the statistics aren’t enough, here are two other important reasons to make security your priority: Your reputation is at stake, and the threats are only increasing.
And did we mention the cost associated with a data breach?
Last year, the Ponemon institute conducted by their annual 2015 Cost of Data Breach Study. For the purpose of this study, they performed 1,500 interviews over a period of 10 months. The interviewees were mostly compliance and information security practitioners representing 350 organizations from 11 countries across the world.
The study found a 23 percent increase in the cost of a data breach since 2013. It also revealed that the cost per data record lost has increased from $145 to $154.
Is There a Solution?
You bet there is. When it comes to dealing with cyber threats, companies large and small face shortages of qualified and capable staff, limited budgets and inability to effectively thwart threats. And that’s why why putting your company’s security into the hands of a Managed Security Services Provider (MSSP) might be the best decision you will make this year.
SLPowers’ Guaranteed Networks-Secure provides comprehensive solutions that work with your existing systems and business processes. Our clients benefit from multiple layers of cyber protection:
- 24×7 Intrusion Monitoring and Alerting, with real-time review by security analysts
- Advanced Firewall Management
- Regular vulnerability assessments, which include phishing and social engineering tests
- Employee Security Awareness & Training, with executive briefings tailored specifically to your company and your industry
Our dedicated team of experienced analysts and certified engineers do nothing but cyber security. They keep our clients up to date on key changes within the industry and in today’s ever-changing threat landscape.
Contact SLPowers today to learn more about how Guaranteed Networks—Secure protects clients ranging in size from 10 users to more than 1,000. We’ll show you how we can customize an approach that fits your own environment.
Image Source: SecurityIntelligence.com